FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Krivsky Calling

Just got off the phone with Wayne Krivsky.
He called me. Seriously. Said he's calling a lot of people to say thanks. Thanks for treating him fairly... thanks for the chit chat around the dugout... just thanks.
I always liked Wayne. Mainly because he was approachable and probably because he treated us "TV folks" with the same respect every general manager treats print media.
Wayne remembers names and returns phone calls.
Two years ago when the Reds were looking for a GM to replace Dan O'Brien... Krivsky's name had come up a few times so I called the main switchboard with the Minnesota Twins and somehow found my way to his voice mail. Left a message and expected absolutely nothing in return. Instead... he called me back. Said he couldn't talk about it... but he called me back and was polite. Not only that... a few weeks later when he was introduced at GABP as the Reds new GM... he remembered me when I introduced myself and he apologized for not being able to tell me more than he did when I called.
That was all I needed. Doesn't take much to win over the TV guys. Like I said before... most coaches and GMs treat beat writers and electronic media differently. For the most part they should. We're typically not around the team every single day... aren't as well connected ... don't break as many stories. We (and this is completely our fault) haven't earned the same level of familiarity and trust.
With Wayne it wasn't like that. So I'll miss him.

All of that said... I never worked for him or with him.
Sounds like that might not have been a walk in the park - according to my print media brethren. Seems like there's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be some truth to that.

Either way...Wayne told me he's going to take a vacation with his wife and then hopefully get on with another team as a National League scout for the rest of this season. Says he would like to be based at GABP. Fine by me. I like the guy. And who knows... maybe he'll give me a call when he lands another GM job.

BG

No comments:

FOX19.com Sports Headlines