FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Delivering a Promise

Before NFL Draft weekend, how many of you had heard of Jerome Simpson? Count me among the many that answered no to that question.

A 2nd round pick for a kid from Coastal Carolina seemed like a stretch when the name popped up on the screen. But, his measurables are as good as any receiver in the draft. Long arms, great vertical, huge hands and a great attitude.

Will he be able to make the jump from small school to the NFL? We'll see. He dropped a lot of passes this weekend in rookie camp, but what happens in May won't matter come training camp and regular season.

Simpson originally wanted to play at ECU. But, the coaches there wanted him to commit during his visit. Jerome wanted to visit some more schools, so ECU gave the scholarship to another player. That's how a super-talented kid ended up in relative obscurity.

Without the big school perks, Jerome had to work in college to make ends meet. His job of choice? Pizza Hut delivery guy. He says he loved the gig because he ate free wings and pizza every night...so did his roomates.

Jerome says he has a big chip on his shoulder because he hears the whispers of a no-name 2nd round pick. "I read the message boards," Jerome said. "But, the (Bengals) coaches believed in me and I'm gonna' make believers out of them. I'm gonna' put this city on my back. This city is gonna' love me."

With his personality, if he performs at a high level, I think he might be right.

- Joe D.

No comments:

FOX19.com Sports Headlines