FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bengals Talking to Alexander

My first memory of Shaun Alexander is from my freshman year in high school. I was 4-feet-11, 88 pounds (literally) and watched the Cov Cath football season opener from the stands.

I had heard stories about this great running back from Boone County. He couldn't be as good as they said, right? Well, it didn't take long for Alexander to drop my jaw. He took the opening kick back 80 yards or so and made defender after defender slip and fall trying to tackle him.

I'll never forget my older brother's best friend (who played safety and was on the kickoff cover team) shaking Alexander's hand in the endzone and kind of shaking his head as if to say, "wow, you're good." Alexander scored, if memory is correct, 6 touchdowns that night (in a CCH win) and the rest is history.

It seems like the Bengals are pretty interested in bringing the former MVP back to his hometown. We'll just have to wait and see if it happens, but I think it would be a good thing. I know Rudi Johnson is geared up to re-gain his role as the every down back after a disappointing 2007, but when is competition or depth ever bad? Especially, if the price is right. Plus, Alexander's seemingly spotless record would be good for the locker room.

I have a friend who lives by Kenny Irons and sees the running back out jogging often in his attempt to recover from a torn ACL. But, we just don't know how soon he'll be ready. Chris Perry sounds like he's ready to play, but he's only played 22 games in 3-years. Kenny Watson and Dede Dorsey will both have roles as change of pace backs. So, it remains to be seen how Alexander would fit in and how he'd react to a far lesser role than the one he starred in for Seattle.

What do you think? Would you like Shaun Alexander in Cincinnati if the price is right?

- Joe D.

1 comment:

esizzle said...

I agree with you. Shaun would be a great addition and competition would be great. WHO DEY!

FOX19.com Sports Headlines