FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Friday, April 18, 2008

Stay Classy, Bronson

Bronson Arroyo is in a slump. He'll be the first to admit it. He says he feels good on the mound, but things "aren't clicking."

I asked him after Friday's game if the fact that he feels good, but is pitching poorly concerns him. He said he'd be more worried if he felt bad and was pitching well than vice versa. His point being, my stuff is fine, I'm just missing spots and when I hit those spots, I'll put up zeroes.

What's refreshing about Bronson is he's honest with the media. In a town saturated with Chad Johnson's soap opera, Bronson doesn't dodge tough questions or pound his chest when things are going well. He seems to have an appreciation for the game, the history, the players, the way the game is played. I'm sure some of that comes from playing in Boston, where that historical appreciation is probably a must for all Red Sox players.

Sure, Bronson is paid to win baseball games. I'm not here to defend or chastise his performance on the mound. The results will speak louder than anything I can say on this blog. My guess is Bronson will bounce back. He's a streaky pitcher. But, good game or bad game, he'll give you his time. That's all a reporer can ask for.

Well, if it's not too much to ask, maybe I'll ask him to re-think the "Together Again" JTM commercial. To think we'll have to see/hear that all summer long...

- Joe D.

No comments:

FOX19.com Sports Headlines