FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Monday, April 28, 2008

Please, Give the Man an MVP

I'm about to commit the ultimate basketball sin...ready...is Kobe Bryant as good as Michael Jordan?

I tried to talk it through with my wife tonight, but she chose to go to sleep instead of watching the 4th quarter of the Nuggets/Lakers game late Monday night. So, congratulations, you get to read my inner monologue argument.

Kobe Bryant is simply unguardable. I remember watching Jordan a lot as a kid, but admittedly have watched much more of Kobe as an adult. I believe Kobe can get 40 points every single night without taking bad shots. He's that good of a scorer.

How about his defense? The best defender on the court for Team USA last summer.

I've never even thought it possible, but it jumped in my head tonight and I just couldn't stop thinking about it. All the time we're looking for "the next Jordan"...are we missing something better?

My answer, no. Kobe is amazing, but Jordan is just Jordan. Kobe might finish with better stats, but a more successful statistical career doesn't make a better player or a larger legend. I don't think the gap is as far as some people think, but Jordan is still the best.

Still, can we get Kobe an MVP? Can you believe that? The best player in the NBA for several seasons now is MVP-less. That's wrong. I love Steve Nash, but c'mon. Heck, can we get the guy a nickname while we're at it?

- Joe D.

No comments:

FOX19.com Sports Headlines