FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Friday, June 13, 2008

Confession to Make...

I figured I'd come here to make a confession. It's been, what, 33-years (almost) since Boston last played a game in Cincinnati. My first chance to see the Red Sox and the Reds in Cincinnati...ever...and guess what? I watched, maybe, 10 pitches from the game. Wasn't out on a story, wasn't busy editing. What was I doing? Glued to Tiger's back 9 at Torrey Pines.

Fox19 sports editor Eric Staub (you might recognize his work on the weekly Carstar collision play or just about any good editing with music, effects, etc you might see during our weekend shows) and I were discussing why we like to root for Tiger. Eric, is a huge Tiger fan. I've always rooted for him, but never really knew why. I'm not a bandwagon guy, in fact, I'm the cliche pull for the underdog sports fan. But, there's something about Tiger that I'm drawn to. And, I think I know why.

No, it's not the bet I have with my brother that he'll have 25 majors by the time he's 40-years-old (although the prize in this bet is great...the loser...has to buy and drink a six pack of beer...of the winner's choice...hmmmmmmm...I hope Matt likes Nati' Light!). I root for Tiger because I want to say 'I watched the best'...'I witnessed history." I want my kids to say, "Dad, how good was that Tiger guy?" Wouldn't it have been cool to be around to see Babe Ruth play? That's kind of what we get to see watching Tiger. The best...in his prime.

I promise to watch more of the Reds game tomorrow. Youk is playing and Volquez pitching is must watch TV for me. But, if you hear loud clapping from the Fox19 newsroom during the middle of SportsWrap tomorrow night...forgive Eric and I...Tiger has a late tee time tomorrow...

- Joe D.

No comments:

FOX19.com Sports Headlines