FOX19 Sports: Cincinnati's Sports Leader

Friday, March 28, 2008

Melancholy Opener by Rufus

I'm on record as saying that baseball is my favorite sport...however, I'm not looking forward to Monday's opener. It's not because of my lack of confidence in the Reds but it's the first baseball season I won't be able to share with my father. My father passed away last August. Some of my fondest memories of him involve Reds baseball. We watched Homer Bailey pitch last year from his hospital room and, though it wasn't spoken, we both knew it would probably be the last time we could share a game. I miss dad and it will never be more apparent then when Aaron Harang tosses that first pitch Monday afternoon. I'll be in the stands with 42,000 optimistic Reds fans...make that 42,001. If I know dad he'll be watching.

1 comment:

Roger Seay said...

This is why baseball is important.
Its fun to follow the stats, the wins, the players but the time you spend at a baseball game is time spent with family and friends. And that is what matters.

FOX19.com Sports Headlines